New Hampshire Avenue Community Gardens
From 2009 - 2013, the City of Takoma offered grants for beautifying and greening the New Hampshire Avenue Corridor. Grants funded long term improvements ranging from just a small tree to a full green space renovation.
What's Growing on the New Ave?
Click on the placemarks for more information; green are existing garden locations and blue are locations of potential future gardens.
The New Ave Community Garden Grant encouraged the community to become involved in and to take pride and ownership of public and quasi-public areas along the corridor. Grant monies have supported landscaping and materials for starting a garden such as soil, mulch, trees, shrubs, flowers, planters, and fencing.
To date the City has provided grants for the following projects on public and private land:
- Sligo Mill Overlook Community Garden;
- Hillwood Manor Neighborhood Community Garden (Erskine to Sligo Creek);
- Takoma Park Recreation Center Community Garden
- Takoma Overlook Community Garden;
- TPLAG Community Garden;
- Zion Lutheran Church beautification;
- Belford Ave beautification/commercial screening; and
- Mid-Atlantic Seafood Community Garden.
Hillwood Manor Neighborhood Community Garden